Saturday, February 25, 2012

Bricks and mortar

This house has very high walls. It was built in 1907 so is Federation-style. This means that if you want to change a light globe it is a life-risking (and muscle developing, given that my ladder is made of heavy metal) experience. The 'up' side is that if you throw your hands spontaneously up in the air they don't hit the ceiling (and if you had a ceiling fan...).

When I first bought this house 25+ years ago, the chimneys were in need of re-mortaring. Two years ago, they were still in need of re-mortaring. I am not a procrastinator, it's just that it was a 'too-hard basket' job. No tradesperson was putting up their hand willingly, which means that quotes for the job were exhorbitant ('$2,500 for the chimneys, lady, not including scaffolding' ...and the rest).

Finally the opportunity came through my mad mate Andrew (that's him lovingly tending one of my two chimneys on my high roof, in close proximity to a very tall street pine) who is clearly not afraid of heights and was in need of a buck. It suited both of us - a win win. Up he went, and my years of lying in bed waiting for bricks to come through the ceiling and land on my head - killing me instantly - every time the wind blew (which can be often at the beach) were over. At last I sleep in peace (well I don't really but at least there is one less reason not to).

No comments: