Saturday, November 14, 2009

Bees and other insects (etc)

This could well be an Ode to bees. Bees are once again visiting my increasingly humble domain (1907 Edwardian-style house). They have a fascination for the mini-orb back wall because it is penetrable due to their size and its fissures, and because of its penetrability there have been bees nests/hives within the walls in the past. Bees have an appreciation for history. They began coming a few weeks ago and my human antenna said 'uh-oh, here's a problem I will have to react to'. Well they buzzed around for a week or so, and then one day around midday there was suddenly a whole lot more of them, like about a thousand! That night, they cuddled up together in a hive-like swarm, one on top of the other in a way that said they would not be lonesome that night. Time to act. We put a creosote laden rag in the hole that they were going through to the inner wall. They don't like creosote - who does? That stuff is so strong you can smell it up the street. That got rid of most of them. But a few hangers on are still persistently building a beautiful cone-shaped nest in which to lay their eggs (apparently, as I haven't done biology since my teens). It is white with cells that look like honeycomb, and a pure form. They will not leave this creation and I don't blame them. However this requires a further act from me, preferably one that is as guilt-free of harming them as possible. More to come...
My other thought extending from this is that there will be environmental refugees of the non-human kind as time progresses global warming and insects, rodents etc seek a friendly place to cool their feelers, legs and other body parts. I suspect that my house will fill their requirements because it is not of the concrete jungle variety that is more frequently being called a 'home' in my area.

No comments: