Sunday, April 5, 2009

Most events are inexpressible

I love this quote from Rilke, whom I have never read:

'Things are not all so comprehensible and expressible as one would mostly have us believe; most events are inexpressible, taking place in a realm which no word has ever entered, and more inexpressible than all else are works of art, mysterious existences, the life of which, while ours passes away, endures.'

Given that I knew nothing about him I went to Wikipedia to find out more, and love this description of his work: 'His haunting images focus on the difficulty of communion with the ineffable in an age of disbelief, solitude, and profound anxiety.' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainer_Maria_Rilke)

Anyway this quote probably expresses how I feel - that it is hard to speak of the deepest and truest things and sometimes it works once you get through the crap of what you don't mean. Mostly though words can't do it as thought and sense experience seems to form only the vaguest shapes in my mind.




No comments: