Saturday, May 9, 2009

'Islands of understanding in an endless sea of mystery'

I love this quote. It is from Ian Lowe's book A big fix, and actually refers to our understanding of the complex natural systems of the Earth. On the other hand, I can relate to it totally, not because I live on an island (Australia) but because life has always been a mystery to me - the way society works, the way people communicate. And when there have been islands of understanding, they have been 'inexpressible', as Rilke says. In a way I have wandered 'lonely as a cloud' through life, unable to 'get it'.
Someone told me once 'don't take life so seriously'. Is that the answer, or is it that we don't take life seriously enough? But trying to grasp or understand life just makes it more elusive. And that also brings in the reality question. Now I have ground to a halt.
So what do I understand about life after all these years? That it is important, and so is death. That all living things are important. That all living things feel. That caring is crucial to happy living but can also make living painful. That belonging is a human need that helps us survive emotionally. (This also probably applies to other living things in a more life-and-death way). That life is a gift it is tragic to waste. As Vipassana says 'May I be happy, may all beings be happy.' The image is by Rex Ray

No comments: