Friday, May 22, 2009

It's over till it starts again

As the weeks roll by in 7-day lots, this phrase 'It's over till it starts again' seems an apt epithet (what a tongue twister!). I work 4 days a week in a workplace, and when Thursday is over there is a 3-day space of time before Monday. When you are old (if you are lucky enought to get there) and you look back over your whole life (if that is what you do), is this how it appears - as chunks of time organised over 1-week periods? I used to be able to account for every year of my adult life, and probably still could. Partly because I did a lot of applying for jobs and structured my life according to what year I had done what. Lately the structure has been more 'project-based' (eg it took me 7 years to do a Masters degree).
Which approach slows life down, which is what it would be really nice to do? Or is there a completely different way of 'measuring' life? The answer in buddhist or meditational terms would be to take each moment as it comes. This removes the routine-like aspect of time.
As usual I started this post with a different sense of where it would go. That is writing for you. Not sure now what I was really trying to say...except that I was excited that this was a 6-word description of my current life.

No comments: