Saturday, January 17, 2015

A realisation while walking

Some people have realisations in the shower (I know of two) and others have them whilst walking/running. I am in that category - when walking.  Today I had a good one, worth noting. How many times do I think I will remember them, only to discover they have become hazy? Here it is.

This week I was reading a manual from a retreat I did in 2002. I remember this retreat well because of where I was at in my personal life and the emotions I felt whilst on retreat. There is nothing like emotion to sharpen your memory. Anyway, I was reading about how to find your sankalpa (a statement of intention to use one's will power to bring about a resolve). There were 5 steps in this process, the first one being:
In a calm and quiet place in body and mind bring back to life a moment in the past when you felt everything was right with you, aligned, simple, and you were one with the universe... When all felt well, at peace, when you felt clear, safe and strong.
Well, I thought, as usual I am stuck on step 1! But today whilst I was walking the lovely big black dog at the top of the beach, at the very last hour of the day, with a fresh but gentle breeze reminding me I was alive, I suddenly thought - why can't I just imagine this moment, here and now, is that moment, and that it is a present moment? Why don't I just imagine that this is how I feel in every moment? It seemed like a brainwave, and I am going to try it. Fake it until you make it, everyone tells me. Well, this is one thing very worth faking!

No comments: