Friday, January 9, 2015

New new year

Thich Nhat Hanh spoke of the new year in a beautiful video at the end of 2013 (although he points out that 2013 does not end, it is still with us). The video is called How to make your new year truly new. Apart from feeling an incredible open hearted love when I watched Thay give this talk, because his beautiful spirit shines through and is clearly visible (to me at least), I also noted some important points relevant to my life ( and really, everyone's life). Here they are:
  • Aim to produce a feeling of joy and happiness every day in 2015 (or any/every year!)
  • Take care of the painful feelings that arise - calm down, transform these into something else (compassion for myself, for others, for example)
  • Improve the quality of my life through mindfulness
  • Compassion will change my life and make it wonderful
  • We all need a dream to nourish us and give life meaning - a sangha (spiritual community) helps us fulfill this dream (my dream is to be a fully functioning human being, by which I mean being in the world my true pure self)
  • Go home to myself - care for my body and feelings with the energy of mindfulness. Restore peace and harmony within myself. Relieve the tension in my body
  • Everyone has an island within themselves where they can feel calm and happy - be an island unto yourself and take refuge in yourself ('my island home')
  • 'Breathing in, I am aware of my whole body, breathing out, I smile to my body' and 'Breathing in/out, I release the tension in my body' - practise all day long to release old body habits and their accompanying thought patterns
  • Learn to go back to my body - 'Dear body, I am here for you' - our body is the first element of our true home
  • The 5th and 6th breathing exercises are to create joy and happiness; the 7th and 8th exercises are to recognise the painful emotions. This is an energy; if you practise these exercises you generate another kind of energy. Every breath can calm down a painful feeling 
  • The dharma (teachings) helps you to be at home inside
  • Practise deep listening and loving speech every day

No comments: